Ahh Thanksgiving, the holiday where we give thanks to everything bountiful, plump, and stuffed. All great things when describing our blessings, but not so great when it comes to waistlines. Thanksgiving is an especially tough time for sticking to healthy eating habits, even for the most determined.
In all fairness, it’s hard to not get stuffed when the holiday is traditionally spent celebrating stuffing. To help you stay on track with your health and fitness goals, I’ve come up with five tips to keep your feast guilt-free this year.
DIY Studded Sneakers for Kids
I’d been on the lookout for weeks, but most of the shoes I found don’t fit well, are pretty cheesy, or WAY too expensive for my taste.
So what’s a crafty Mom to do? DIY baby!
These shoes were ridiculously easy to put together and the pay off was HUGE. I spent a total of $9.52 on supplies and the shoes look amazing.
The glama-makeover of the $5 kicks is above and please let me know if there’s anything I can help with as you follow along…
Emerald: Pantone Color of the Year 2013
This rich jewel tone has been the color of the year and the weather is finally right to add this trendy color to your kids fashion mix. Our luxurious brocade dress paired with an edgy opalescent motorcycle jacket will surely steal hearts at this year’s Christmas party.
Animals prints are ALWAYS a winner. Spice things up by pairing it up with other bold and unexpected patterns. We paired a tan leopard print beenie with a traditional Ralph Lauren red tartan plaid for our woodsy infant style set.
- Jeans that need a glama-makeover!
- Assorted studs
1. Lay out your supplies.
2. Decide on the size of your embellished cuff and fold the bottom of the denim up to create a cuff.
3. Choose a stud pattern. Feel free to mix up colors and shapes- be creative!
4. Stud from the front to back and bottom to top using the pliers to bend the stud prongs through the denim. (ps…they can be sharp so don’t let kids do it alone)
5. Repeat on the other leg.
6. Strut your stuff like a Rock Star!
Congrats to the newlyweds! Kelly Clarkson and her husband, Brandon Blackstock, announced the happy news via Twitter on November 19, 2013. Kelly hasn’t disclosed a due date or any other deets just yet, but she was quick to proclaim the pregnancy as the “best early Christmas present ever.” So cute, much love to the happy couple!
It’s Veterans Day 2013 and I wanted to do more than just post a big “thank you” to our troops. While they certainly deserve it, it seems so uninspired compared to the sacrifice they have made for our country.
These men and women not only served our country, they sacrificed everything so that we wouldn’t have to.
They put their futures at risk, so that ours could be protected.
They left their children behind, so that ours could live free.
This video below is a beautiful reminder of the true sacrifices our troops make. Please take a second to watch and let it be your inspiration for giving thanks this Veterans Day.
Does your little one have a sensitive stare, easy-going spirit, and unconquerable thirst for music?
If you answered yes, it sounds like you’ve got a sensitive rocker on your hands. Watch out mom because he’s gonna leave a trail of broken hearts behind him with his heartfelt serenades and rugged, carefree style.
In other words…watch out John Mayer – you’ve got major competition!
Buy the Glamajama bodysuit here: Rockin’ Guitar Infant Bodysuit
The temperatures are dropping, but that’s no reason to settle for blah neutrals. If your little boy’s personality packs a punch, you gotta check out our Orange Crush inspired boys fashion set for Fall.
Anchored by a colorful striped cardigan and set off with bold orange converse slip-ons, your little man will rock Fall in style.
This Protein Snacks Kids Love post excerpt is part of my #GoodEnergy series at Premier Protein…
While every Mom knows that kids grow up fast, you might not realize just how fast. The average child will triple in size by their 13th birthday. That’s an astonishing rate!
To help keep your kids healthy and strong during this period of rapid growth, they will need about .5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. In other words, your 60 lb. daughter needs at least 30 grams of protein each day to fuel growth, restore damaged cells, sustain energy, support learning and memory, and to regulate her body’s changing hormones.
Easy enough, right? Not always. While most kids love pizza, mac n’ cheese, and -of course- ice cream, they don’t exactly beg for grilled chicken, lentils, and hard-boiled eggs.
Luckily, there are plenty of other yummy ways to sneak protein into your kids’ meals.
It’s 2:59pm, do you know where your energy is? If you’re like most working moms and dads, it’s probably hanging out with all those missing socks from the laundry. Unfortunately, when your energy is MIA you’re SOL, which isn’t very LOL. What are you to do?
Get Your Zzzz’s
Adults need between 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep nightly, but the average person gets only 6 hours each night. Think six is enough? According to a University of California sleep study, only 3% of the population is genetically capable of being rested after 6 hours of sleep. Chances are, you’re part of the 97% who desperately need eight hours.
My kids absolutely LOVE smoothies! As a mom, I absolutely LOVE all the fruits and veggies I can stash in there and the kids still beg for more.
For me, the dilemma is a) having the ingredients on hand and b) having the time to put it all together.
With school back in session, I was determined to find a quick and easy way to prepare the smoothies WITHOUT having to buy the pricey “smoothie blend packs” that are full of added sugar.
Luckily, making your own ready-made smoothie packs is super easy and you probably already have everything you need. We’re big fans of coconut over here, so I filled my ice cube trays with coconut milk and coconut water.
If you’re not a coconut lover you could easily use another juice, almond milk, or even greek yogurt for added protein goodness. After your cubes have frozen, cut up the fruit and/or vegetables you’d like to add to your smoothie mix. Once you have everything ready, divide up the portions into baggies and freeze.
Whenever a smoothie craving hits, all you have to do is grab a ready-made smoothie pack from the freezer and blend. Voila!
NO measuring, cutting, searching for ingredients…within 5 seconds you’ll be blending a vitamin and nutrient packed smoothie. Yum!
What’s your favorite smoothie recipe?
In the aftermath of the Super Bowl social media has been abuzz debating GoDaddy’s controversial ads. Their hot girl/nerd guy make out session garnered mass publicity and made them rich. According to GoDaddy, they gained 10,000 new customers in the wake of the commercial. This wasn’t just a “little bump” for them, it was their biggest sales day in history.
How is this possible? They angered every female in America with that ad? Easy. They’re the bully in the room with all the connections. As annoying as their commercials are, they get us talking and EVERYONE remembers their name. It’s basic human nature. We love train wrecks. We never forget the people who p*ss us off, but have a hard time remembering those who were “nice.”
GoDaddy knows this all too well and bet the farm on being controversial and memorable versus sweet and poignant. Ram may have preached “God Made a Farmer“, but GoDaddy made a sale. The almighty dollar wins and we’re once again reminded sex sells.
I could go on for hours about why I personally hated the commercial, but I’ll save the rant. I think we’re making a mistake by giving GoDaddy so much credit. GoDaddy did not create the hypersexualization of women, nor the stereotype that women are nothing more than arm candy in the tech world. They simply made a Super Bowl ad perpetuating the stereotype. Attacking the messenger won’t change the message.
If you were truly angered by the ad, DO SOMETHING about it? And no, I don’t mean boycott GoDaddy. I mean prove the stereotype WRONG. Change the message. It starts with one little girl, then another. Before long, the “bimbo” stereotype will fade away. BUT you have to take the first step. Let that first step start in YOUR home.
Stop buying your daughter scantily clad dolls.
Teach your daughter how to climb trees.
Send your little girl to math club and leave the ballet slippers at home.
Speak of only positive role models and leave the latest scandals to TMZ.
Read her books with tales of courageous young heroines.
Show nothing but respect for yourself so she learns by your example.
Raise her with the grit to pull herself up by her own bootstraps.
…and most importantly….
Love her truly, madly, deeply for the perfect little girl she is.
Our daughters and the world need to hear us, we can all take the step together. Please share this post if you’re with me!
Want more? Read: Teaching Our Daughters the Power of Beauty AND Brains
Interested in Advertising? It’s easy: Click HERE